How to Microwave Artichokes
The quickest way to cook fresh Artichokes is definitely in the microwave. Find out how easy it is to cook an Artichoke in the microwave with our step-by-step instructions:
- Cut two rinsed and trimmed Artichokes in half, and rub cut edges with lemon to prevent browning.
- Sprinkle cut side of Artichokes with salt and place cut side down into a microwavable safe, glass-baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup olive oil into bottom of baking dish.
- Squeeze the juice of one half of lemon over Artichokes.
- Place a microwavable dish on the top of the casserole dish to create a seal and cook in the microwave for about 18 to 20 minutes. This cooking time can vary depending on the size of the Artichoke and varying power of the microwave. Cook Artichokes until tender.
- You will know the Artichokes are cooked when a sharp knife goes through the Artichoke base with ease. If the knife goes through with ease (similar to a baked potato), your Artichoke is perfectly cooked and ready to eat.
Artichokes are a very versatile vegetable. Prepare them in various ways, including our two favorites, stuffing and grilling. For refrigerated storage, slice a dime width off of the Artichoke stem, sprinkle the raw Artichoke stems with water and refrigerate them in an airtight plastic bag. It’s best to cook them within five to seven days after you buy them.