Quality Assurance Supervisor – Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, CA
The Quality Assurance Supervisor will supervise the daily activities of the QA inspectors; provide employee feedback, disciplinary communication, performance evaluation and training. Travel and seasonal relocation will be required to our remote facilities and surrounding areas. This opportunity is available in Castroville, CA and reports directly to the QA Manager.
- Oversee team’s daily activities; such as, product quality inspections including value added, purchased products, and transfers from other locations for California, Arizona and Mexico.
- Monitor and distribute customer rejection notices to all necessary parties within the organization.
- May be required to travel to customer sites on short notice to follow up on multiple rejections.
- Ensure that the team rates product according to Ocean Mist or USDA standards, including characteristics such as weight, color, condition, appearance, pack, temperature, and carton appearance.
- Verify that team members check product condition and temperature before and/or after cooling to ensure proper methods are followed; monitor receiving, cooling and storage of product to ensure proper and timely cooling.
- Ensure all inspection reports of aging, daily, raw, transfers and purchased product are properly documented.
- Assign team members to respond to and direct requests for inspections of specific lots to include product aging, 24-day shelf life testing, and special packs for certain customers.
- Follow QA protocol on written reports; ensure and review that team updates inspection data for aging, daily harvest, finished and raw product for value added, Mexico and purchased product.
- Maintain constant communication with various departments including QA, sales, inventory, shipping, commodity, harvesting companies and other staff regarding ratings of product such as weight, color, condition, appearance, and packing.
- Communicate with and oversee inspections by buyer representatives and outside inspectors.
- Make recommendations to QA Manager for cooling, icing, packaging and palletizing of product.
- Oversee and assist team members to prepare and coordinate arrival of product for exhibitions, fairs, conventions and customer on-site tours.
- Conduct pre- & post-harvest field observations/ audits.
- Conduct training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
The qualified candidate will be an effective advocate of the Ocean Mist Farms label and organization by always striving to produce and ship the highest quality, most consistent and desirable product while striving to achieve the lowest cost per unit. An attention to detail in all activities is imperative. At all times maintains a professional image that supports Ocean Mist Farms image and goals. A strong work ethic and job dedication is essential to be successful in this position.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Associate’s degree with agriculture courses is highly desired. Bachelor’s degree with agriculture major is preferred. Requires continuing education in supervision, quality assurance, and other job-related areas.
- 1-3 years’ of experience as a Harvest Crew Leader is highly desired. 1-3 years of experience supervising employees is preferred.
- Ability to read, write and speak in an English capacity at a proficient level is required; bilingual in English/Spanish is highly desired; basic math and reading skills is required.
- Ability to operate a company vehicle and maintain a current and valid CA driver’s license and be insurable.
- Ability to work in an office, cooler and field environment with an average range between 33 degrees and 110+ degrees; ability to travel and work in the field environment.
- Some time spent working outdoors, walking, standing, kneeling, turning, reaching, ability to lift 60 pounds without undue physical exertion is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills including; ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees, peers, supervisors, vendors and customers.
Fax application and/or resume (831) 632-0788
Talent Acquisition Team10855 Ocean Mist Parkway
Castroville, CA 95012