This cooking method is for grilling rebels who want to try something different on their backyard barbecue or indoor grill. Grilling Globe Artichokes:
What many people don't realize is you must cook the Artichoke before finishing it off on the grill. The grill really only adds flavor - it is not cooking the Artichoke.
Grilling Baby Artichokes:
- Cook your cleaned and trimmed Artichoke. You can boil, steam, bake or microwave your Artichoke. Watch our preparation videos for Artichoke preparation and cooking tips.
- Set cooked Artichokes "tops down" to let any liquid drain from the Artichoke petals.
Tip: Cook your Artichokes ahead of time - they can be stored in the refrigerator for several days. Just bring them out when you are ready to grill!
- Preheat grill to about 350 degrees.
- Cut cooked Artichokes in halves or quarters and remove the fuzzy center with a spoon.
- Brush both sides of Artichoke with olive oil or melted butter and season to your preferred taste.
- Place Artichoke halves directly on the hot grill and cook until they char (about four minutes). Flip with tongs and continue to grill until desired charring marks appear. For an increased smoky flavor, let the Artichokes grill for longer than the recommended four minutes.
Tip: Many restaurants baste Artichokes with seasoned melted butter for extra flavor.
Baby Artichokes are a great addition to veggie kabobs. To grill Baby Artichokes, follow the directions for grilling Globe Artichokes above. Grilling Baby Artichokes is a bit simpler as you don't have to cut the baby Artichoke in half and there is no fuzzy center to remove.Seasonings to try on your grilled Artichokes:
- Teriyaki sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Italian dressing
- Balsamic vinegar with garlic salt
- Melted butter with crushed garlic
Grilled Artichokes are flavorful enough to serve alone, but for some added flare check out some of our easy dipping sauces to serve alongside your grilled Choke!
Excited to grill Artichokes? Show us! Post pictures from your summer barbecues featuring Artichokes on our Facebook page! Not on Facebook? Email the photos to email@example.com.