Retail Merchandising: Artichokes
The Artichoke itself is a natural complement to the produce department. Artichokes have a rich, deep-green color that complements other produce items and “stack” well for building large end-cap displays. If handled properly, Ocean Mist Artichokes will look and taste fresh for up to two weeks. It is important to keep them cool and moist.
There is no “cookie-cutter” answer as to how a store should display fresh artichokes as it depends on your display resources, space allotment and sales velocity. To get started, here are some display tips to help you merchandise Artichokes:
- It is recommended for Artichokes to be refrigerated while on display at 34° Fahrenheit or 1° Celsius.
- Do not re-trim stems. Ocean Mist Farms harvests each Artichoke with two and a half-inch stems to retain the natural moisture. Re-trimming will cause Artichokes to lose up to 30 percent of their moisture and weight, and stems will darken within seconds of re-trimming.
- Asparagus trays or bowls work well as merchandising tools to keep stems hydrated.
- Remove any damaged petals.
- Merchandise Artichokes on their sides, stem-to-stem, for easier handling by you and your shoppers.
- Place next to lemons for both color blocking and encouraging an impulse purchase. Lemons are commonly used in preparing fresh Artichokes.
- Create side displays in other departments such as in the meat and fish department . . . again to prompt an impulse purchase as a meal solution. Artichokes make the perfect side dish with any meat, poultry or fish dish.
- Side dipping ingredients such as mayo, balsamic vinegar and ready-to-eat sauces make a great cross promotion and encourage impulse purchase as meal solutions.
- Offer many sizes for increased sales. Shoppers use different sizes for different recipes.
- Ice displays are the ultimate, “luxury” display and work great- but many stores are trying to avoid using ice for safety reasons.
- The only time we have seen artichokes work well “off refrigeration” is when they are priced at a hot retail and turn quickly. We’ve only seen that executed properly on a large scale on the west coast.
Ocean Mist Farms has point of sale tools available to order for our retail partners.
View our menu of seasonal point of sale and submit your order all in one spot!