“Chinese Take Out” Steamed Veggies
For delicious Chinese take out style steamed vegetables, you will need:
- 1 bag of Season & Steam vegetables
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Prepare the vegetables in the microwave according to the directions on the bag. Combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil together in a bowl. Next pour the steamed vegetables out of the bag into the bowl of mixed ingredients. The heat from the steaming vegetables will help cook the garlic and ginger, releasing a delicious fragrance.
Recipe Inspiration: All Recipes
Steamed Vegetables with Dijon Mustard Garlic Dressing
For the Dijon Mustard Garlic Dressing, you will need:
- 1 bag of Season & Steam vegetables
- 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ clove garlic (crushed)
- 2½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Prepare the vegetables in the microwave according to the directions on the bag. Put the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix with a whisk, until combined. Once the dressing has been combined, take the steamed vegetables out of the microwave and pour them in the bowl of dressing. Toss the vegetables around in the dressing until evenly coated.
Recipe Inspiration: Food Network
Browned Butter Steamed Brussels Sprouts
- 1 bag of Season & Steam, Quick Cook sprouts
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon
Prepare the vegetables in the microwave according to the directions on the bag. Melt butter in skillet Add salt and the steamed Brussels sprouts to melted butter in skillet and stir frequently until they are brown on both sides. After they are brown on both sides, squeeze lemon evenly all over sprouts.
TIP: We suggest blotting the Brussels sprouts with a paper towel to remove excess butter before serving.
Recipe Inspiration: Food
How to Elevate Your Steamed Veggies to the Next Level!
The Kitchn put together a list of their eight favorite ways to elevate steamed vegetables to the next level. Here are a couple of our favorites:
- Olive oil: this is considered by many to be the cornerstone of cooking, so why should microwaving be any different? Drizzling some on your Brussels sprouts before you steam them can transport you to the streets of Venice, gondola not included.
- Vinegar: this can enhance the sweetness of your veggies. Not to mention the numerous health benefits of certain types of vinegar, such as the ability to help control your blood sugar level!
- Lemon juice: this is a classic for a reason. The pop of flavor that a simple squeeze can add to your vegetables is probably the easiest way to add to your steamed veggie dish!
Our Other Favorite Additions
- Pesto: Nothing adds a burst of freshness to your dish quite like pesto does. Mixing your freshly steamed vegetables with a bit of pesto, can add flavor and help lighten up the dish as a whole.
- Serve over Quinoa: Quinoa is so much more than a buzzword. Serve your steamed vegetables over this or your other favorite grain to add texture and flavor to your dish. Adding a grain can elevate your side dish to a main dish and provide a heaping helping of color and nutrition to your dinner.
- Fresh Herbs: Herbs can compliment a variety of steamed vegetables, and if you have access to some fresh herbs, sprinkling them in the bag before you steam your vegetables can add a symphony of flavors to your dish.
- Bacon: If there’s something that Bacon can’t make taste better, then we haven’t found it yet. Add crisped up bacon pieces to your vegetables. You can even cook your steamed veggies in a bit of the rendered leftovers to add additional flavor!
- Sriracha: Sometimes an extra kick is enough, so for those spice-lovers we recommend adding a small amount of sriracha to your steamed veggies in the bag and then shake them up. Be careful, sriracha can be quite spicy!