Mussels with Braised Baby Artichokes over Linguine
A light and favorful entree
2 lbs mussels – cleaned & debearded
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced
1 can (14 oz.) petite-cut diced tomatoes with garlic & olive oil
¾ cup white wine
Juice from ½ lemon
2-3 T. butter
Sea Salt, to taste
8 oz. Linguine – prepared al dente
8 baby Artichokes, rinsed & trimmed
(See video: How to Prepare Baby Artichokes for cooking)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Kuice from 3 key limes
¾ cup water
¾ cup white wine
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. oregano
Parmesan cheese, grated or shaved
- Linguine: Prepare linguine al dente according to package directions, drain, set aside.
- Baby Artichokes: Cut off top 1″ off artichoke, trim stem. (See Video: How to Prepare Artichokes for cooking)
- Remove outer green leaves until all petals are pale yellow in color. Slice Artichoke in half lengthwise, then slice each half again to make 4 slices.Prep remaining Artichokes.
- In a large fry pan, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Saute Artichokes and garlic for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine, key lime juice, water, sea salt and oregano. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until Artichokes are very tender.
- While Artichokes are braising, prepare mussels. Sprinkle a generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese over Artichokes just before combining with the mussels.
- Mussels: In a stock pot, heat olive oil over med-high heat. Saute garlic and shallot until just soft. Add ¾ of the can of diced tomatoes. Continue cooking 2 minutes. Add remaining juice from can and press remaining juice out of the remainder of the tomatoes. Add wine and lemon juice. Add 2-3 Tbsp. butter to thicken the juices just a bit. When it comes to a boil, add mussels all at once, cover tightly and steam for 5 minutes or until mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open. Sea salt to taste. Remove Artichokes with a slotted spoon and add to the mussels.You can add some of the braising juice to the mussels to make more sauce if needed.
- Serving: Place approximately 1 cup linguine noodles in a pasta bowl. Ladle a generous portion of mussels and Artichokes over the linguine. Spoon additional sauce from mussels over linguine. Generously sprinkle with grated or shaved Parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty bread to soak up all those delicious juices!