Baby Artichoke Risotto
Risotto may seem difficult to make, but it is easy-to-make in a few steps!
2 lb. Ocean Mist Baby Artichokes, rinsed and trimmed
(See video: How to Prepare Baby Artichokes for cooking)
½ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
2-½ cups chicken broth
1 cup yellow Onion
3 Tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. arborio rice
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 thick slices of bacon, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup (4 oz.) grated Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions:How to Prepare & Cook with Baby Artichokes
- Start with prepared Baby Artichokes Leave Baby Artichoke whole, if small, or cut into halves or quarters.
- In large saucepan, over medium heat, bring vinegar, olive oil, salt and oregano to a simmer. Add prepared Artichokes. Cover and simmer until tender (about 10 to 15 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
- In small saucepan, heat chicken broth until simmering; keep hot. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add Onion and cook until translucent (about 3 minutes). Add rice. Cook and stir until all the rice is coated with oil and begins to turn golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 cup of hot broth. Continue to cook and stir until rice absorbs the broth. Continue to add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until each addition is absorbed. Set aside.
- In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Add garlic and drained Artichokes. Cook and stir until Artichokes begin to brown.
- Stir in the cooked rice, then the 2 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until rice absorbs the broth. Stir in Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
This is our favorite menu item at Montrio. We've also served it for years at the Produce Marketing Associations annual Fresh Summit-- we served 1000's
This is our favorite menu item at Montrio. We've also served it for years at the Produce Marketing Associations annual Fresh Summit-- we served 1000's because it was such a hit!