Roasted Stuffed Artichokes
Ocean Mist Farm's signature artichokes stuffed with Italian-style breadcrumbs, then roasted until tender.
Two large (preferably heirloom) fresh artichokes,
1 cup of unseasoned breadcrumbs, 2 cloves garlic, finely minced,
¼ cup olive oil
1 Tbsp. mixed dry Italian herbs (oregano, marjoram, basil)
¼ cup hard Italian sharp cheese, grated
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper,
pinch of fine seas salt
- With a large chef’s knife, cut the top two inches off the top of the choke to expose the purple interior leaves. Cut off the bottom stem off the choke to make a flat bottom, reserving the cut stem.
- With kitchen sheers, snip the thorns off exterior leaves from bottom, cutting off the small bottom leaves.
- With a spoon, scrape out the center to remove the center including the fuzzy choke from the middle, creating a large well to take the filling.
Roasted Stuffed Artichokes:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small saute pan, heat 2T of the oil over medium flame. Finely dice the stem and saute until tender, add garlic until aromatic.
- In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine breadcrumbs, the sauteed mixture, balance of the oil, once combined, add cheese and red pepper and salt.
- Spoon filling into choke cavity and cover each choke tightly with a small piece of foil. Place in a casserole dish and roast for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check the base with a paring knife and when the knife comes out easily, removed the foil and roast for an additional 10-15 minutes to brown topping. Serve with lemon slices.