Employee Spotlight: 10 Things to Know About Bobbielynn Galvan, Office Manager
Enjoy this month's employee spotlight for a personal "conversation" with Bobbielynn Galvan, Office Manager of nearly 15 years at our Coachella, CA cooler & distribution facility. Bobbie shares professional and personal anecdotes that showcase both her positivity and perseverance.
1. How long have you worked at Ocean Mist Farms? How did you get started?
I was hired as an Office Manager on December 20, 2007. Danny Martinez, current Coachella Plant Operations Manager, mentioned the office manager position posting to a mutual friend. I was so excited, I applied for the job and days later I was offered the position! The rest is history!
2. What does your typical workday look like and what are you & your team responsible for?
My typical workday varies from reconciling outside shipper’s cooling and handling units to being the liaison between the Ocean Mist Farms Coachella and Castroville offices. Examples of these activities include setting up marketing tours, preparing product samples, training others when needed, invoicing, handling questions from outside shippers, and assisting with prep work for company audits. Within the Operations Department in Coachella, I also support the Food Safety and Quality Assurance teams.
I deeply appreciate the time and effort my team puts into each day. They are Jill’s of all Trades, doing whatever needs to be done every single day. They support all departments from Accounting to Shipping to Marketing to Human Resources.
3. What are some challenges in your role?
As with any position, there will always be challenges to the work being done. For me, those challenges include the time requirements for preparing financials for the cooler reviews, maintaining all permits and licenses, and keeping guidelines up-to-date.
4. Describe your job in 3 words!
Accountability, Communication, and Initiative.
5. What is your best memory of Ocean Mist Farms?
My best memory of Ocean Mist Farms is really an expression of the gratitude for the kindness and encouraging support during my battles with oral cancer. I cannot express how much the support and positive encouraging words have helped me. Plus the wonderful laughs we have shared over time.
6. March is Women's History Month; what does this mean to you and is there a woman in history that you feel has opened the path for other women? Who do you consider to be an influential woman in your life?
Women’s History Month recognizes the countless women who have worked to break the gender and cultural barriers and biases throughout history and that have had lasting effects for generations. I'm inspired by Sonia Sotomayor’s inner strength and fortitude to grow through adversity to become the first Latina Supreme Court Justice in U.S. History!
The most influential woman I know is my grandmother, Mary. She taught me important life lessons like having resilience despite life challenges, kindness is not weakness, and to be yourself, not who others want you to be.
7. Are you involved in the community and are there any organizations you are a member of?
I am a service-oriented person and have served in different capacities for several organizations. Often I volunteer with my ten 😮 grandchildren so that they learn how to serve. Some of my the organizations I serve are:
- The Autism Society - Supports the Autism community with the resources needed to live fully.
- The Coachella Valley Rescue Mission - Serves the local community members that are experiencing homelessness, hunger and life challenges.
- Narrow Door - Faith based organization that finds the needs of the Coachella Valley community.
- Olive Crest - Transforming the lives of children in crisis through the power of God, family, and community.
- Local high school FFA & 4H - Youth organization that supports and promotes agriculture education.
8. Where would you go if you could teleport anywhere in the world?
I would choose the Bermuda Triangle. The myths, history, and places of wonder about the Bermuda Triangle are intriguing.
9. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
In my free time, I enjoy hanging out with family and friends at the park. I love to play Trivial Pursuit and I read countless books. I could spend a whole day in a library. I also love to cook, especially baked, grilled and stuffed Artichokes. Plus baking treats with my granddaughters.
10. If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?