- Artichoke Club
CASTROVILLE, Calif. – May 16, 2016 – Ocean Mist Farms will sponsor the Agro Art 2016 Competition at the Castroville Artichoke Food & Wine Festival this year.
This event encourages family participation and creativity. The competition consists of creating a three-dimensional fruit and vegetable display sculpture. The quirky competition fosters imagination, creativity and is fun for participants and the viewing public.
The competition takes place on Saturday, June 4, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Monterey County Fairgrounds and Event Center and is open to everyone. Area artists, culinary whizzes and school teams are encouraged to participate, no prior experience is required.
Competition is in the following categories:
Adult – Individual or TeamHigh school (grades 9-12) – Individual or TeamMiddle School (grades 7 and 8) – Individual or TeamGrammar School (grades K-6) – Individual or TeamProfessional (chefs, florists and artists)
AGRO ART RULES:
- All competitors must fill out an entry form either in advance or at the entrance to the Competition.
- Spaces are limited: “First come – First Serve” basis.
- Only pre-registered entrants are guaranteed a table until 10:30 AM. After 10:30, hold on spot will be forfeited and given to person on waiting list.
- Each single entrant will be assigned one-half of a working table.
- Each team will be assigned a full working table.
- Sculptures must be constructed during the competition time of no earlier than 10 AM and no later then 1 PM.
- Entries must be at least 60% fresh product and 10% artichokes.
- Ocean Mist Farms will provide fresh artichokes and other “art pieces” such as cauliflower, broccoli and head lettuce. All is available on a first come, first served basis.
- Entrants must provide their own supplies except for veggies as noted above.
- No flowers may be used, however, it is permissible to use leaves, brush, grasses and other living foliage.
- It is permissible to use wire, wood, glue, tape and plastic to form a base for the sculpture or secure it.
- Judging will begin at 1 p.m.; winners will be announced at 2 p.m.
- All sculptures must remain at the festival until Sunday
- All entries not picked up will become the property of the Castroville Artichoke Festival
Registration is free and there is more than $6,500 in cash prizes. Interested participations may sign up online at AGRO ART 2016.
For more information on the Agro Art Competition and the festival, visit Castroville Artichoke Food & Wine Festival.