Consumption of broccoli has tripled over the past 25 years. Its popularity is thanks to an aesthetic appeal, delightful taste, versatile culinary applications and the fact that it is packed full of nutrition.
- Good source of fiber
- High in antioxidants and protective phytochemicals
- Excellent source of folic acid
- High levels of vitamin C
- Look for broccoli with a tight head and a rounded dome, four to six inches wide.
- Avoid broccoli that does not have a firm, crisp appearance or yellowing beads.
Storage and Handling
- Wrap unwashed broccoli in plastic wrap or tuck into a plastic bag.
- Store in the vegetable drawer or crisper section of your refrigerator for up to five to seven days.
- Steam, roast, sauté or serve raw with a favorite dip.