Leaf lettuce is a year-round favorite for its versatility and nutritious flavor and texture. There are several varieties of leaf lettuce, which consist of large, loosely packed leaves joined at a stem. Ocean Mist Farms grows red and green leaf lettuce and the tender butter lettuce. Often used in tossed salads, sandwiches and as wraps, leaf lettuce continues to be a fresh favorite in the produce aisle.
- Excellent source of vitamin A
- Green and leaf lettuce are a good source vitamin C
- Low in sodium and calories
- Look for a full head, bright color and leaves that are fresh and crisp.
- Avoid any yellow or limp leaves.
Storage and Handling
- Store lettuce in perforated plastic bags wrapped in damp paper towels and keep it in the refrigerator vegetable crisper for up to five to seven days
- Rinse leaves in colander with cold water.
- For the best eating experience, remove excess moisture after washing by using a salad spinner or patting leaves dry.