How to Eat an Artichoke
Many people have never experienced the joy of eating a fresh Artichoke because they never learned how to eat one. The good news is that eating an Artichoke is easy, and definitely something to be savored slowly and sumptuously.
- Start by pulling off one of the outermost petals. If your artichoke is cooked correctly, the outer petals of your artichoke should be easy to remove.
- Dip the base of the petal into your favorite sauce. Many people prefer melted butter or mayonnaise, but feel free to choose your favorite.
- The edible part is located at the base of the petal. Pull the base of petal through slightly clenched teeth to strip off the petal meat. Pull off and eat the individual petals from the cooked artichoke, marking your way down to the heart of the artichoke.
- When you get to the heart of the artichoke, you will notice the fuzzy hair layer referred to as the “choke”. This part of the artichoke is not edible. Remove the choke by using a spoon to scoop it out.
- Now that you reached the artichoke heart, eat your heart out!
Click image to see the full-animated infographic: