8 Artichoke Facts That Will Shock You
At Ocean Mist Farms every season is Artichoke Season! However, our Artichoke Club members know that THE traditional Artichoke Season is springtime during March, April, and May. This is when you can find your favorite vegetable delicacy in stores for spring holiday celebrations such as Mother’s Day and Easter. With THE season upon us, this is a perfect time to share a few unique Artichoke facts to impress around the table or in line at the grocery store! You can find Ocean Mist Farm Artichokes in the Season & Steam convenience line as well as in our organic and conventional line.
- The Artichoke is an unbloomed flower, part of the sunflower family, from the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands.
- Artichokes are one of the oldest foods known to humans.
- According to Greek mythology, the artichoke became known through the Greek God Zeus. As the story goes, Zeus spotted a beautiful girl named Cynara, while visiting his brother Poseidon. He instantly fell in love, made her a goddess and took her back to Mount Olympus with him. However, Cynara became lonesome and took secret trips to visit her family. As soon as Zeus discovered these trips, he was angered, kicked Cynara off Mount Olympus and turned her into an artichoke. The scientific name for artichoke—Cynara cardunculus—derives from this this myth. There’s even an office building in Castroville called Cynara, go figure! Read more here.
- Ciro Terranova “Whitey” (1889-1938), aka the “Artichoke King”, was a member of the mafia. What? He purchased all the Artichokes shipped to New York from California, created a produce company and resold the artichokes at a 30%-40% profit. Eventually, the mayor of New York declared a ban on everything Artichokes! One week later, the mayor admitted to loving the vegetable too much and lifted the ban. I can’t say that I blame him.
- One Artichoke plant can produce up to 20 artichokes per year! Learn more about how Artichokes are harvested, their lifespan, and how many Artichokes Ocean Mist produces in a year.
- Artichokes are ranked number one over all other vegetables when it comes to antioxidant levels, including anti-inflammatory antioxidants. Check out more on Artichoke nutrition here!
- Freezing weather yields Frost Kissed® Artichokes. This is a real seasonal treat, as temperatures dropping below 32 degrees in Castroville or Coachella, California is never a sure thing. Learn more about these limited-edition ‘chokes here.
- The Castroville Artichoke Festival is an annual event, attracting artichoke lovers everywhere! In fact, Marilyn Monroe was the first official California Artichoke Queen in 1949. Find out more about the 2022 Artichoke Festival here.
Check out more recipes here!
Want to know more about Ocean Mist Farms Artichokes? Click here to learn more!
While we have you, if you haven't already entered Arti's Adventure Giveaway, you have until April 8, 2022! Enter for a chance to be a weekly prize winner and try your luck at winning an amazing GRAND prize!